The team are always working to develop new workshop series to help engage our service users and allow them to hone their skills and increase their knowledge in the most up-to-date fashion. Our workshops tend to be split between those aimed for disabled people, older people and those living with long-term conditions and those aimed at parent carers.
Each workshop is co-facilitated by two of our Development Workers who will quickly become familiar and friendly faces to you. One of our LCiL Champions is also generally present to share their lived experience. We know that their input is regarded as invaluable by most of our workshop attendees who are really able to make use of their honest and insightful accounts.
Through our workshops you can expect to:
- Meet other in a similar position
- Learn new skills and increase your knowledge
- Explore ideas and opportunities around support
- Discover practical information, resources and information on who and where to ask
- Ask for the support you need in a more confident manner
From the group I have learnt to ask questions and not to give up. If there is something I don’t understand I will ask the person to explain it to me instead of just being in the dark all the time.
All of our workshops are free to attend and typically last around one hour and a half. Some examples of recent workshops include:
- Communication Skills: Becoming More Assertive
- Preparing for Meetings and Assessments
- Introduction to SDS for Disabled People
- SDS – Next Steps for Parent Carers
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic we are currently operating all of our workshops on Zoom (which can also be accessed via telephone). As this year progresses, however, we hope to review this and will be looking to revert back to our usual operation of in-person events.
For further information, or if you would like to join one of our workshops, please contact the SDS team on 0131 475 2350, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org