RNIB’s Tax Advice team

Published: August 12, 2016

Get help with your tax

Many people find tax matters confusing, but there is help available. RNIB has a team who support people with sight loss with income tax issues. The service, supported by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), provides information about tax allowances such as the Blind Person’s Allowance and the Marriage Allowance, which can reduce your tax bill.

RNIB can help you to claim the tax allowances you are entitled to. In most cases claims can be taken over the phone, with no forms to complete.

RNIB can also help with general queries related to income tax, tax-free savings, VAT-free products and tax credits. The team can contact HMRC if you need help with resolving problems and to arrange help with completing tax forms and self assessment tax returns.

What is the Blind Person’s Allowance?
People registered as blind or severely sight impaired can claim the Blind Person’s Allowance. The allowance is £2,290. This can reduce tax by £458 this year. You can backdate the allowance to the previous 4 years. You can also transfer the allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner.

What is the Marriage Allowance?
The Government introduced the Marriage Allowance tax-break in 2015. It lets you and your partner share part of your tax-free Personal Allowance to help lower your overall tax bill. In 2016/17 you can transfer £1,100 of your Personal Allowance to your partner which can save up to £220 in tax.

To apply for the Marriage Allowance you need to be married or in a civil partnership. Both partners need to be born on or after 6 April 1935. One partner needs to have an income of under £11,000, and the other partner must be a basic rate taxpayer.

How to contact RNIB’s Tax Advice team
For help and information on income tax and HMRC-related issues you can call RNIB on 0345 330 4897 or 0151 702 5721 or email: tax@rnib.org.uk

You can find more information online, go to www.rnib.org.uk/tax

Scroll to top