Grapevine Disability Information Service
Free, confidential and independent Disability Information and Advice for people living in Edinburgh.
- Advice line open 4 days a week: 0131 475 2370, Monday – Thursday 10am-4pm (answer machine available during busy times).
- Email our disability advisors securely at: [email protected] or
- Get in touch via our: Online enquiry form
- Please note we don’t provide a drop-in service. All face to face appointments have to be made in advance (see details below).
What does Grapevine provide?
Grapevine provides disability information and advice on a free, confidential and impartial basis. The service is funded to work with people aged 16 years old and above, living in Edinburgh and East Lothian.
Grapevine has specialist expertise in responding to the advice and information needs of disabled people, people with long term conditions and older people in Edinburgh and East Lothian. We are managed by disabled people and our advisors work to enable service users to take up their rights and entitlements, through the provision of up to date, accessible, independent and locally based information and advice.
Advice Topics we specialise in:
- Disability Benefits (including help with forms at our office in Edinburgh, by appointment only, for Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance claims).
- Older people’s benefits (including benefits check appointments for people living in Edinburgh aged 65 years old and above).
- Access and Transport.
- Rights at work and learning opportunities for disabled people.
- Accessing community care services and self-directed support (SDS link)
- Health and personal issues, including where to get emotional support, self-management classes, etc.
- Grants and trust searches.
- Holidays and respite opportunities.
- Access issues and where to get help with legal matters.
- Housing and adaptations.
- Local suppliers for aids and equipment;
- Publications and factsheets (check out these on the Grapevine section of the E-library).
We aim to:
- Actively listen to service users.
- Identifying information needs efficiently.
- Provide information in whatever format is preferred.
- Advising on the options available.
- Making referrals and signposting where appropriate.
We aim to provide a high quality of service and adhere to information standards to guide our work, including Scottish Accessible Information Forum standards. Check out our page on what you can expect from the Grapevine service (link).
How can I contact the service?
You can contact Grapevine via the helpline number which is 0131 475 2370, Monday – Thursday, 10am-4pm (answer machine available during busy times).
You can also email us your enquiry to: [email protected] at any time. We aim to respond to email enquiries within 2-3 working days.
Alternatively you can also get in touch via our online Enquiry Form.
You can also request information by fax or via letter to our postal address (link to Contact us).
Can I make an appointment to receive information face to face?
Appointments can be offered to people aged 16 and above who live in Edinburgh who require assistance with Personal Independence Payment Forms (PIP) and Attendance Allowance (AA) Forms, at our office in Edinburgh, based at Norton Park, 57 Albion Road, Edinburgh, EH7 5QY. All appointments have to be arranged in advance with an advisor (e.g. via advice line or email), we cannot accept ‘drop-in’ referrals.
We can also provide benefit check appointments to people aged 65 and above living in Edinburgh to ensure they are claiming benefits they are entitled too.