A female Personal Care Assistant (this is a genuine occupational requirement) is required to provide regular support to an elderly woman who has the onset of dementia in South Portobello Duddingston area.
The PA will be required to assist my mother in law to stay physically and mentally active, using general cognitive activities, and support with practical tasks
My mother-in-law has limited strength and energy so walks with mobility aids. She has the onset of dementia so requires gentle prompting and encouragement to stay hydrated and assistance with personal care to support her to maintain her general hygiene.
A calm and friendly attitude, along with the ability to prompt and encourage participating in activities is a must.
Applicants are sought from females only and you should have access to a vehicle with business insurance. My mother-in-law has a Blue Badge.
Although driving is desirable it is not essential and travel expenses during working hours will be reimbursed.
Hours of work: approx. 10 hours per week plus possible additional hours and occasional weekend respite cover in order to give my husband and me respite. Hours are usually mornings and evenings and the respite shifts include overnight stay and tea time meals. Hours can be discussed at interview.
Job Description for Personal Assistant
The aim of the job is to provide assistance to support an elderly woman, who is living within a family home in the South Portobello Duddingston area.
A Personal Assistant is employed to provide care assistance, and to encourage the person to maintain independent living skills.
A Personal Assistant must be able to maintain good relations through clear communication and listening skills and follow instructions.
The job involves assisting with a variety of tasks. Like most people, the activities vary so it is difficult to list each task that is expected from the Personal Care Assistant.
After a period of familiarisation with the duties, the PA will be required to perform the tasks without supervision. The post holder will therefore need to be able to work on their own initiative but be respectful of the wishes and instructions they are expected to perform.
The job will involve supporting the elderly woman while walking, indoors and outdoors and helping with personal care. You do not have to be strong to do the job well but general good health is important. It is important to support and help her develop body memory, working with her routine is essential.
The job requires providing personal assistance with the following:
- Provide wake-up call and assistance with personal care and hygiene
- Assistance with daily showering, body care and washing hair.
- Assistance with and preparing food and prompting to eat and drink, particularly maintaining hydration
- Make sure medication and general supplements are taken as required
- Supporting with some daily postural and mobility exercises
- Preparing and serving food, with some occasional cooking
- General cleaning of shower room and other surface areas
- General tidying: specific to mother-in-law’s rooms.
- Making the bed and changing linen as required
- Identify and bring to attention when supplies and meds are running low
- Some occasional light laundry tasks
- Assistance with safety when walking outdoors to maintain her physical health
- Assistance with some gentle exercises to maintain her mobility
- Assistance with other leisure activities e.g. finding films, reading etc.
- Encouragement to maintain telephone contact with friends and relatives
- Assistance to clean/maintain upkeep of equipment e.g. walker
- Occasional Driving
- Collecting supplies when deliveries don’t arrive
- Warming up meals and making light lunch and or supper
- Any other reasonable tasks as and when required
I am looking for a Personal Assistant who has a strong sense of responsibility. The person needs to be professional with a friendly and approachable attitude with a good sense of humour. They must be reliable, trustworthy and punctual. It is important that the post holder is aware of and sensitive to my mother-in-law’s needs. As a Personal Assistant is required to work one-to one, it is important that an open and honest relationship is maintained with me the employer, as you will be working within the family home. It would be an advantage though not essential to have received recent personal care training including that of dementia or cognitive decline, and have some experience of working with the elderly and frail. Reviews will be provided, to support and assist you with your work.
The post is part time, hours to be discussed at interview plus additional hours; one weekend in eight respite to include sleep in, not waking nights. The day rate of pay will be £14 per hour with a flat respite rate of pay. Optional pension scheme is available. Must be SSSC and PVG registered or willing to obtain.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to Pajobs@lothiancil.org.uk