Wanted: an enthusiastic, organised person with a good sense of humour for a part time personal assistant job in Musselburgh.
I am a creative person in my 20s who loves Yorkshire Tea, nature, photography and escaping into literary worlds. I also maybe ever so slightly obsessed with Doctor Who and Hamilton the Musical.
I have several rare conditions that mean I use a wheelchair to get around, experience high levels of fatigue and have some complex health issues. I’m therefore looking for a personal assistant to join my team and help me with practical daily living tasks.
No day looks exactly like another but tasks include and aren’t limited to; helping with showering and dressing, preparing and cooking meals, assisting with some gardening, discussing the latest political event, basic housework and laundry.
I may also occasionally need support prepping for meetings, running small errands, joining in arts and crafts activities and accompanying me on adventures sourcing the best dropped kerbs East Lothian has to offer.
Shifts are split between morning and late afternoon/early evening visits. I am ideally looking for someone who can commit to two or three days a week (approx 5-10 hours per week). Applicants must be willing to work one weekend in three (exact times and days to be negotiated between employer and PA). Additional hours may be available for the right person.
Rate of pay is £9.90 per hour.
• Reliable, trustworthy and organised.
• Have a good sense of humour.
• Adaptable to variable health conditions.
• Able to follow both verbal and written instructions yet also show initiative when required.
• Happy in a kitchen making simple meals from scratch.
• Ability to make a superb cuppa.
• Willing to B.Y.O.W. (Bring Your Own Wellies). For me my wheelchair is not a restraint but a ticket to freedom and I like to put it through its paces, so being happy to go on muddy walks or plant things in the garden is essential.
• Be generally in good health- due to a high risk of complications from illness PAs must not come to work when ill.
• A reasonable degree of fitness- the job requires some moving of medical equipment.
• Completes work to a high standard
• Able to respect my choices, privacy and independence.
• Comfortable with a well behaved dog being around.
• Ability to endure listening to musicals (extra points if you know the lyrics) and happy to introduce me to other music too, I have an eclectic taste.
• Similar interests e.g. art, nature and books.
• Educated to secondary level or above.
• Some understanding of neurodiversity.
Would ideally suit a student, freelance worker or creative person working from home and looking for some additional regular hours. May also suit someone looking for experience and considering a medical career or gaining knowledge of disability social issues. No direct care experience required just a willingness to learn.
This job is for females only as part of a genuine occupational requirement.
How to apply
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are suitable for the position and please include your available hours. Please quote reference FA WN EL and email to email@example.com