The aim of the job is to provide assistance required by the employer, a disabled man.
A Personal Assistant is employed to help me live my life the way I choose. Getting the right assistance when I need it allows me to lead my life independently. A Personal Assistant will enable me to do this by listening to what I want and following my instructions. It is therefore vital that an employee has good communication and listening skills.
The job involves assisting me with a variety of tasks. Like most people, my day varies so it is difficult to list every task that is expected of a Personal Assistant.
After a period of familiarisation with the duties, you will be required to assist me with the following tasks, sometimes without close supervision. The post holder will therefore need to be able to work on their own initiative whilst at the same time be respectful of my wishes.
You do not have to be strong to do the job well, but general good health is important.
The job requires providing assistance with the following:
- Assist me to keep track of appointments and commitments
- Help with adjusting clothing and position in wheelchair
- Assistance with stretching
- Assistance with emptying catheter bag and on very rare occasions
- Assist me going shopping
- Help with my volunteering work
- Assistance when going to the gym
- Assistance when attending any appointments
- I like to go on long drives i.e. Walks lol
- Assistance to maintain upkeep of equipment e.g., wheelchairs
- Light housework on occasion
- There are too many to list but no tasks that are difficult.
- Good spoken English
- Reliability and trustworthiness
- Sense of humour
- Looking for long-term employment
- Experience with disabled people preferred but not essential
It is for 25 hrs per week and shifts will typically be 12pm -5pm Monday-Friday.
I am an outgoing man with a good sense of humour, looking for a Personal Assistant to assist me to have an active life.
Rate of pay will be £10.50 per hour, paid holidays, and pension contribution
How to apply
To download an application pack please click here MA-OH Application pack May 2022 , or call our recruitment line on 0131 475 2558
Alternatively, please send a CV to email@example.com quoting job reference MA OH
Please note Lothian Centre for Inclusive Living (LCIL) provides support to individual disabled employers. LCIL is not the employer and only provides the recruitment and administrative support to the individual employer.