(From Monday 11th March 2024 – Sunday 16th June 2024)
The position which you are about to review assumes some basic knowledge of Personal Assistant work. Must be able to drive my automatic wheelchair accessible vehicle. Training will be given.
I am a man with Cerebral Palsy and have deteriorated in my ability to care for myself since before my retirement in 1994, this deterioration has continued to such an extent that I can no longer physically do anything for myself and therefore require assistance with almost every aspect of my life whilst still remaining in control of my life with the assistance and co-operation from my wife, Edna.
- The successful applicant must be able to drive an accessible automatic vehicle. Due to insurance costs, I cannot consider anyone under the age of 25yrs.
- Hours will be 32-35hrs per week. (0800-1300 Mon-Fri apart from one day a week finishing at 1600 which may be negotiable). The hours can be shared by two PAs in order to allow University students to apply. However, successful applicants must be able to work the same shift patterns (same days and times) for continuity.
- The hourly pay rate will be negotiated.
*Genuine Occupational Requirements
Details of personal care
- Morning – You will be joined by an agency worker, and you will take the lead to assist me with washing, dressing and hoisted me into my powerchair
- I have a suprapubic catheter. If you require training this will be done by another PA or my wife.
- I require full assistance with preparing and feeding me my breakfast and medication which uses a blister pack and other vitamins etc which I shall guide you with. In exceptional circumstances you may ask my wife for advice
- You will give me a shave, brush my teeth, insert my false top teeth using glue, comb my hair etc
- I then finish getting dressed
- You will have to learn to drive my powerchair from the dual control behind me. At the moment I cannot drive my chair at all
- In the morning you may be required to type on my computer as I dictate to you as well as going through my emails and any other computer work. If you are not computer literate, I will be able to guide you
- Another alternative may be that you must be able to drive me in my car to go shopping or to go to a place of interest and meet with friends
- You must assist me with my lunch mostly at home, but sometimes out
Paid training will be provided on several days before you are due to start. Training will commence from week beginning Monday 4th March.
How to apply
To download an application pack please click here GM-SDED Application pack Jan 2024, or call our recruitment line on 0131 475 2558 quoting the job reference.
Closing date: Friday 9th February 2024
Please note Lothian Centre for Inclusive Living (LCIL) provides support to individual disabled employers. LCIL is not the employer and only provides the recruitment and administrative support to the individual employer.