I am looking for someone to support my 9 -year-old son who is non-verbal with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) as well as an intellectual disability and who lives with me. The current situation is that my son has difficulty engaging in any after school activities due to a lack of routine.
The aim would be to assist me and my son building up confidence in getting him engaged more with activities outside home such as swimming in particular as the aquatic environment is beneficial to improve his mood and provide exercise. He also very much enjoys trampolining. The long-term goal is to establish a safe routine for my son to get settled in out of school activities to such a degree that I can also spend more time with my other 13 years old daughter who currently lives with her grandparents.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is interested in or training towards Allied Healthcare/Education disciplines such as Psychology, Speech and Language Therapy, Education/Child Development. The main part of the post is to support a young 9 -year-old boy to pursue his hobbies/interests and provide support with learning and communication through play. Direction will be given by myself and full training will be provided on the job.
Applicant will support the boy using behavioural strategies and techniques, communication method such as PECS, sensory and emotional strategies.
- Duties will include supporting the child to undertake a variety of social, learning activities including building up confidence in travelling in public transport.
- Initially shadowing and working alongside me as the boy’s mum in order to increase confidence in developing routines outside the family home so that my son becomes settled enough to pursue social activities with the support worker and independently from his mum’s presence.
- The post consists in 6 hours per week after school hours, worked flexibly doing 2-3 shifts per week to be negotiated.
- The hourly rate is £11.49 per hour.
- Experience working with children with ASD as well as how to handle potential ‘meltdowns’ essential although training will be provided and the work will initially consist in shadowing and working in partnership with the boy’s parent. The role would be beneficial for those studying or have a background in education, psychology, and speech and language therapy.
- Applicants will be required to join the PVG scheme if not already a member, fees will be covered by the employer.
- This post is suited to someone that is reliable, kind, patient with a soft personality, uses initiative and is trustworthy and willing to learn on the job. The post is for female only applicants because my son builds easier rapport with female workers.
*Genuine occupational requirement
How to apply
How to apply:
Please send your application or your CV along with a short paragraph on why you would like the job, a little bit about yourself and your previous experience by email to: email@example.com or can be posted to:
PA Recruitment, Lothian Centre for Inclusive Living, Norton Park Centre, 57 Albion Road. Edinburgh, EH7 5QY
Please ensure that you have paid adequate postage to send any application forms by mail as LCIL does not accept postage otherwise.
Closing date: Friday 8th December 2023
Please note Lothian Centre for Inclusive Living (LCIL) provides support to individual disabled employers. LCIL is not the employer and only provides the recruitment and administrative support to the individual employer.